It’s creamy, it’s dreamy, It’s nutty, crunchy and chocolaty and it’s definitely not to be missed. A healthier and tasty version of Nutella which is Vegan, Gluten Free and Free from refined sugars.
Super chocolaty and delicious, even the kids are converted to this- Happy Mum :)
On world Nutella Day, I present to you my home made, healthier version which is free from refined sugars, vegan and gluten free….I mean honestly what more could you ask for?
Who doesn’t like a bit of Nutella ( or shall I say big spoonful's of it)?
Yes I used to be the one who used to consume Nutella by a spoonful but not until I really started to dive deeper and look at what I was really eating. I shall save that story for another day but the point I am making here is become more conscious and mindful of what you are consuming.
It is our duty to read ingredients and understand processes of all the foods we consume. So, me being me and getting my creativity on fire, I made my own deep roasted Choc and Hazelnut spread and OMG saying it tastes EPIC doesn’t even do any justice.
So I am on my own journey of making conscious and mindful decisions of what I am consuming and would love to implement some of these into my family home so that my kids can become more aware of what they are eating and how making swaps and reducing certain foods can help improve their health and wellbeing.
My daughter and son both loved this homemade version of Chocolate & Hazelnut spread, yes I had it by the spoonful knowing I am satisfying my taste buds and ingesting the good stuff.
It’s vegan, gluten free, free from refined sugar, chocolatey and super easy to make….
So what are you waiting for? Follow the recipe below, make a batch and let me know how you get on.
Deep Roasted Chocolate and Hazelnut Spread
200g hazelnuts ( with skin)
¼ tsp sea salt
120g- Good quality dark chocolate anything over 70% and check it is vegan
1tbsp Maple syrup
1. Preheat oven to 175 C (fan assisted)
2. Place the hazelnuts in a tray and roast then for about 15 mins, be careful not to burn them or they will taste bitter. Roast until they change colour
3. Remove tray from the oven, transfer the hazelnuts to a tea towel, using the tea towel roll the nuts to loosen and remove the skins
4. Using a high speed blender ( I used my kitchen aid blender), transfer the toasted hazelnuts into the blender, add salt and turn it on slow speed allowing the nuts to release the oil and turn into nut butter. Using a spatula you may need to scrape the contents down a few times to ensure the nut blends well.
5. I kept mine slightly crunchy because I like a bit of crunch
6. Blend until you get a smooth or semi smooth nut butter consistency and keep aside.
7. Now break your dark chocolate in smaller pieces and melt in short bursts in the microwave until smooth.
8. Add the meted chocolate and maple syrup to the nut butter, give it a quick blend until all mixed and voila your delicious, crunchy, deep roasted Chocolate Hazelnut spread is ready.
9. Transfer it into a glass jar and store in a cool dry place
How will you eat yours?
I would love to hear your thoughts and if you make this, please do share and tag me on Instagram: @chintal_kakaya